Data Management Plans
Beginning January 18, 2011, proposals submitted to NSF must include a supplementary document of no more than two pages labeled “Data Management Plan” (DMP) . This supplementary document should describe how the proposal will conform to NSF policy on the dissemination and sharing of research results. Proposals that do not include a DMP will not be able to be submitted. For more information about this new requirement, please see the Grant Proposal Guide, Chapter II.C.2.j and the Data Management and Sharing Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs).
Please note: the Engineering Directorate (ENG) has additional guidance for proposals submitted to ENG programs. Questions and/or suggestions about this new requirement may be addressed to Dr. Maria K. Burka.
The Data Management Plan is uploaded as a Supplementary Document. The following instructions are from the Fastlane website:
- Access the FORM PREPARATION screen
- Click the GO button for DATA MANAGEMENT PLAN on the FORM PREPARATION screen
- UPLOAD the DATA MANAGEMENT PLAN
- NSF Awards and Administration Guide and the relevant section on data management plans(J. Special Information and Supplementary Documentation)
- NFS’s FAQs about data management plans
- NSF directorate-specific guidance documents regarding data management plans