Condensed Matter Experiment
BiographyView full CV
Born in India in 1940, Dr. Seehra received his early education there, earning BS (Panjab University, 1959) and MS (Aligarh University,1962) degrees, followed by some college-level teaching. In 1963, he joined the University of Rochester, Rochester (NY), receiving his Ph.D. there in June 1969. He joined West Virginia University (WVU) as an Assistant Professor of Physics in July 1969, became an Associate Professor in 1973, a full Professor in 1977, and an Eberly Distinguished Professor in 1992. He retired in August 2016 after mentoring 65 students at the M.S., Ph.D., and post-doctoral levels, but he continues research in magnetism and nanomaterials in collaboration with several research groups in the US and abroad.
For additional details, see:
Awards and Honors
- A. P. Sloan Foundation Research Fellow (1974-1976)
- Fellow of the American Physical Society (1984-)
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics (UK) (2001-)
- Buswell Award from WVU in 2015 for advancing the careers of women students under his mentorship
- Induction into the WV Order of Vandalia in 2019 for ‘Distinguished Service to West Virginia University’
Books Edited“Magnetic Spinels” (2017), “Nanostructured Materials” (2018) and “Noble and Precious Metals” (2018) with A.D. Bristow, all published by InTech Publishers (London, UK). Chapters in these books are open access and have been downloaded by many thousands world-wide.
Publications for 2020-2022 are listed below. For full list of publications, see CV (link given above).
S. Thota, M. S. Seehra, M. R. Chowdhury, H. Singh, S. Ghosh, S. K. Jena, P. Pramanik, T.Sarkar, R. S. Rawat, R. Medwal, and B. Weise, Unraveling the nature of ferrimagnetism and associated exchange interactions in distorted honeycomb Ni4Nb2O9, Physical Review B, 106, 134418(12 pages), (2022).
Sobhit Singh and Mohindar S. Seehra, Testing the validity of the core-shell-surface layer model on the size dependence of effective magnetic anisotropy in magnetic nanoparticles, Frontiers in Materials, 9, 1050600 (7pages), 2022.
- Maruthi R, M. S. Seehra, S. Ghosh, R. Medwal, R.S. Rawat, B.Weise, E.S. Choi, and S.Thota, Determination of the tri-critical point, H-T phase diagram and exchange interactions in the antiferromagnet MnTa2O6, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter , 34, 155801(11 pages), 2022.
- M. Roy-Chowdhury, M. S. Seehra, P. Pramanik, S. Ghosh, T. Sarkar, B.Weise, and S.Thota,, Antiferromagnetic short-range order and cluster spin-glass state in diluted spinel ZnTiCoO4, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter , 34, 275803(15 pages), 2022.
Y. Zhang, H. Xu, H. Liu, M. S. Seehra, Z. Wang, Y. L:i, and W. Li, Magnetic ground state and tunable Neel temperature in the spin 1/2 linear chain antiferromagnet Co(OH)(2-x)Fx, Physics Status Solid B, 259, 2100438 (7 pages), 2022.
- S. Thota, S. Ghosh, R. Maruthi, D. C. Joshi, R. Medwal, R.S. Rawat and M.S. Seehra, Magnetic Ground State and Exchange Interactions in the Ising chain ferromagnet CoNb2O6, Phys. Rev. B 103, 064415 (8 pages) 2021.
- M. Aziziha, S. Akbarshahi, S. Pittala, S. Ghosh, R. Sooriyagoda, A.H. Romero, S.Thota, A.D. Bristow, M. S. Seehra, and M. B. Johnson, Identification of a Fe-Dependent Optical Mode in CuAl1-xFexO2, J. Phys. Chem C, 125, 3577-3583, (2021).
- J. Shi, T. Sauyet, Y. Dang, S. L. Suib, M. S. Seehra, and Menka Jain, “Effects of particle size and structural parameters on the magnetic and magnetocaloric properties of GdCrO3 particles”, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 33, 205801(12 pages), 2021.
- J. Shi, M. S. Seehra, Y. Dang, S. L. Suib, and Menka Jain, Comparison of the dielectric and magnetocaloric properties of bulk and film of GdFe0.5Cr0.5O3, Journal of Applied Physics, 129, 243904(14 pages), 2021.
- Maruthi R, S. Ghosh, M. S. Seehra, D. C. Joshi, M. R. Chowdhury, R. Medwal, R. S. Rawat, and S. Thota, Magnetic field–temperature phase diagram and exchange constants of the antiferromagnet MnNb2O6, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 33, 345801(9 pages), 2021.
- P. Pramanik, Sobhit Singh, D. C. Joshi, S. Ghosh, V. Sathe, K. M. Rabe, D. Vanderbilt, M. S. Seehra, and S. Thota, Magnetic exchange interactions and lattice dynamics in GeCo2O4, a normal spinel with S = ½ pyrochlore lattice, Phys. Rev. B 104, 014433 (11 pages), 2021.
- S.Kumari, N. Mottaghi, Chih-Yeh Huang, R. Trappen, G. Bhandari, S. Yousefi, G. Cabrera, M. S. Seehra, and M. B. Holcomb, “Effects of Oxygen Modification on the Structural and Magnetic Properties of Highly Epitaxial La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 (LSMO) thin films”, Scientific Reports, 10, 1-11, 2020.
- N.Mottaghi, R.B. Trappen, S. Y. Sarraf, M. S. Seehra, M. B. Holcomb, “Magnetocaloric investigations show magnetic inhomogeneity in a 7.6 nm thin film of La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 826, 154200 (6 pages), 2020.
- N. Mottaghi, M.S. Seehra, J. Shi, M.Jain and M. B.Holcomb, “Spin dynamics and relaxation in 7.6 nm thin film of La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3: ac magnetic susceptibility and magnetic viscosity investigations”. J. Appl. Phys. 128, 073903 (8 pages), 2020.
- S. Ghosh, D. C. Joshi, P. Pramanik, S.K Jena, S. Pittala, T. Sarkar, M.S. Seehra and S. Thota, “Antiferromagnetism, Spin-Glass State, H-T Phase Diagram, and Inverse Magnetocaloric Effect in Co2RuO4”, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 32, 485806(13pages), 2020.
- N.Rajeeshkumar, R. Kalai Selvan, L.Vasylechko, P. Saravanan, and M.S. Seehra, “Exchange interactions and the nature of magnetic ordering in Zn0.6Mn2.4O4 particles”, Physics B 599,412460 (8 pages), 2020.