Condensed Matter Experiment
Prof. Bristow received his Ph.D. from the University of Sheffield in 2004. He was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Toronto from 2003 to 2006, a Research Associate at JILA from 2006 to 2010 and an Adjunct Instructor at the Colorado School of Mines in 2009. He joined the department in Fall 2010. He is currently also a National Institute of Standards and Technology Associate, an Associate Editor for Optical Materials Express and member of the Optical Society of America and the American Physical Society.
Prof. Bristow has taught the following courses:PHYS-112 – University Physics II (with calculus)
PHYS-211 – Introduction to Mathematical Physics
PHYS-321 – Optics
PHYS-479/779 – Laboratory Research
PHYS-772 – Semiconductor Physics
PHYS-774 – Optical Properties of Solids
PHYS-791 (Special Topics) – Laser Physics and Quantum Optics
In addition to teaching lecture courses, Prof. Bristow has mentored undergraduate and graduate students in research activities. He has graduated PhD students whom have gone on to be postdoctoral researchers at top-tier research schools, visiting professors at liberal arts colleges, and employees in industrial and government lab positions.
Prof. Bristow leads the Ultrafast Nanophotonics group, using short laser pulses to determine coherent and dynamic properties of electrons in condensed matter. Light-matter interactions provide insight into new physics at the nanoscale and are useful characterization tools for materials and structures that have potential for electronic, photonic, spintronic and energy-harvesting applications.
Selected Publications (full list @ google scholar)
- H. Esmaielpour, V. R. Whiteside, H. P. Piyathilaka, S. Vijeyaragunathan, B. Wang, E. Adcock-Smith, K. P. Roberts, T. D. Mishima, M. B. Santos, A. D. Bristow, I. R. Sellers, “Original of inhibited hot carrier cooling in type-II InAs/AlAs1-xSbx quantum wells,” Scientific Reports 8, 12473-9 (2018).
- D. A. Bas, R. A. Muniz, S. Babakiray, D. Lederman, J. E. Sipe, A. D. Bristow, “Identification of photocurrents in topological insulators,” Optics Express 24, 23583-23595 (2016).
- J. Li, S. K. Cushing, F. Meng, T. R. Senty, A. D. Bristow, N. Wu, “Plasmon-induced resonance energy transfer for solar energy conversion,” Nature Photonics 9, 601-607 (2015).
- B. L. Wilmer, F. Passmann, M. Gehl, G. Khitrova, A. D. Bristow, “Multidimensional coherent spectroscopy of a semiconductor microcavity,” Physical Review B 91, 201304(R)-5 (2015).
- S. K. Cushing, J. Li, F. Meng, T. R. Senty, S. Suri, M. Zhi, M. Li, A. D. Bristow, N. Q. Wu, “Photo-catalytic activity enhanced by plasmonic resonant energy transfer from metal to semiconductor,” Journal of American Chemical Society 134, 15033-15041 (2012).
- J. D. Rowley, J. K. Pierce, A. T. Brant, L. E. Halliburton, N. C. Giles, P. G. Schunemann, A. D. Bristow, “Broadband terahertz pulse emission from ZnGeP2,” Optics Letters 37, 788-790 (2012)