Condensed Matter Experiment
Born in India in 1940, Dr. Seehra received his early education there, earning BS (Panjab University, 1959) and MS (Aligarh University,1962) degrees, followed by some college-level teaching. In 1963, he joined the University of Rochester, Rochester (NY), receiving his Ph.D. there in June 1969. He joined West Virginia University (WVU) as an Assistant Professor of Physics in July 1969, became an Associate Professor in 1973, a full Professor in 1977, and an Eberly Distinguished Professor in 1992. He retired in August 2016 after mentoring 65 students at the M.S., Ph.D. and post-doctoral levels, although he continues some research in magnetism and nanomaterials in collaboration with several research groups in the US and abroad.
Awards and HonorsA. P. Sloan Foundation Research Fellow (1974-1976)
(Full list is given in CV )
Books Edited“Magnetic Spinels” (2017), “Nanostructured Materials” (2018) and “Noble and Precious Metals” (2018) with A.D. Bristow, all published by InTech Publishers (London, UK). Chapters in these books are open access and have been downloaded by many thousands world-wide.
Publications for 2019-2020 are listed below. For full list of 325 publications, see CV or Mohindar S. Seehra @Google Scholar.
- S.Kumari, N. Mottaghi, Chih-Yeh Huang, R. Trappen, G. Bhandari, S. Yousefi, G. Cabrera, M. S. Seehra, and M. B. Holcomb, “Effects of Oxygen Modification on the Structural and Magnetic Properties of Highly Epitaxial La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 (LSMO) thin films”, Scientific Reports, 10, 1-11, 2020.
- N.Mottaghi, R.B. Trappen, S. Y. Sarraf, M. S. Seehra, M. B. Holcomb, “Magnetocaloric investigations show magnetic inhomogeneity in a 7.6 nm thin film of La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3”, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 826, 154200 (6 pages), 2020.
- Navid Mottaghi, M.S. Seehra, J. Shi, M.Jain and M. B.Holcomb, “Spin dynamics and relaxation in 7.6 nm thin film of La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/SrTiO3: ac magnetic susceptibility and magnetic viscosity investigations”. J. Appl. Phys. 128, 073903 (8 pages), 2020.
- S. Ghosh, D. C. Joshi, P. Pramanik, S.K Jena, S. Pittala, T. Sarkar, M.S. Seehra and S. Thota, “Antiferromagnetism, Spin-Glass State, H-T Phase Diagram, and Inverse Magnetocaloric Effect in Co2RuO4”, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 32, 485806(13pages), 2020.
- N.Rajeeshkumar, R. Kalai Selvan, L.Vasylechko, P. Saravanan, and M.S. Seehra, “Exchange interactions and the nature of magnetic ordering in Zn0.6Mn2.4O4 particles”, Physica B 599,412460 (8 pages),2020.
- M. Aziziha, R. Beesley, J. Magers, N. Mottaghi, M.B. Holcomb, J. P. Lewis, M. S. Seehra, and M. B. Johnson “Electronic state and concentration of Fe in CuAl1-xFexO2 determined by magnetic measurements”, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 471, 495-500 (2019).
- M. Aziziha, S. A. Byard, R. Beesley, J. P. Lewis, M. S. Seehra, and M.B. Johnson “Magnetic properties of Fe-doped CuAlO2 and role of impurities, AIP Advances, 9, 035030 (5 pages), 2019.
- P. Pramanik, S. Ghosh, P. Yanda, D. C. Joshi, S. Pittala, A. Sundaresan, P. K. Mishra, S. Thota, and M. S. Seehra, “Magnetic Ground-State, Field-Induced Transitions, Electronic Structure and Optical Bandgap of the Magnetically Frustrated Antiferromagnet GeCo2O4, Phys. Rev. B 99, 134422(12 pages) 2019.
- M. Aziziha, S.Akbarshahi, S. Ghosh, P.Pramanik, J. P. Lewis, A. H.Romero, S.Thota, M.S.Seehra, and M.B. Johnson: “Phonon Dynamics in Anisotropic Dilute CuAl1-xFexO2 Delafossite Alloys by a Weighted Dynamical Matrix Approach”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 123,30604-30612,2019.
- S. Ghosh, S. K. Jena, P. K. Mishra, M. S. Seehra, and S. Thota, “Magnetic exchange interactions and band gap bowing in NixMg1-xO (0 ≤ x ≤ 1): A GGA+U density functional study”, J. Appl. Phys. 126, 233904 (10 pages), 2019.