Condensed Matter Experiment
Ph.D., University of Rochester, 1969
M.S., Aligarh University, India, 1962
B.S., Punjab University, India, 1959
Recent Publications (2016-2018)
1. P. Pramanik, S. Ghosh, P. Yanda, D. C. Joshi, S. Pittala, A. Sundaresan, P. K. Mishra, S. Thota,and M. S. Seehra, “Magnetic Ground-State, Field-Induced Transitions, Electronic Structure & Optical Bandgap of the Magnetically Frustrated Antiferromagnet GeCo2O4, Phys.Rev. B 99, 134422(12 pages) 2019.
2. M. Aziziha, R. Beesley, J. Magers, N. Mottaghi, M.B. Holcomb, J. P. Lewis, M. S. Seehra, and M. B. Johnson “Electronic state and concentration of Fe in CuAl1-xFexO2 determined by magnetic meaurements”, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 471, 495-500 (2019).
3. S. Ghosh, S. K. Jena, P. K. Mishra, M. S. Seehra, and S.Thota, “Magnetic exchange interactions and band gap bowing in NixMg1-xO (0 ≤ x ≤ 1): A GGA+U density functional study”, J. Appl. Phys. 126, 233904 (10 pages), 2019.
4. M. Aziziha, S. A. Byard, R. Beesley, J. P. Lewis, M. S. Seehra, and M.B. Johnson “Magnetic properties of Fe-doped CuAlO2 & role of impurities, AIP Advances, 9, 035030 (5 pages), 2019.
5. M. Aziziha, S.Akbarshahi, S. Ghosh, P.Pramanik, J. P. Lewis, A. H.Romero, S.Thota, M.S. Seehra, and M.B. Johnson: “Phonon Dynamics in Anisotropic Dilute CuAl1-xFexO2 Delafossite Alloys by a Weighted Dynamical Matrix Approach”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 123(50),30604-30612,2019.
1. ‘Noble and Precious Metals- Properties, Nanoscale Effects and Applications’ edited by M. S. Seehra and A.D. Bristow; ISBN: 978-1-78923-292-9, 432 pages (Intech Publishers, London, UK 2018).
2. J. Shi, S. Yin, M. S. Seehra and M. Jain, “Enhancement in magnetocaloric properties of ErCrO3 via A-site Gd substitution”, J. Appl. Phys. 123,193901(9 pages) 2018.
3. N. Mottaghi, M. S. Seehra, R. Trappen, S. Kumari, Chih-Yeh Huang, S. Yousefi, G. B. Cabrera, A. H. Romero and M. B. Holcomb: “Insights into the magnetic dead layer in La.07Sr0.3MnO3 thin films from temperature, magnetic field and thickness dependence of their Magnetization”, AIP Advances 8, 056319 (6 pages) 2018.
4. H.Verma, D. Seifu, S. P. Karna, H. Hong, and M.S. Seehra, “Induced ferromagnetism in multilayered graphene in proximity with CoFe2O4”, AIP Advances 8, 025119 (8 pages) 2018.
5. P. Pramanik, Sobhit Singh, D.C. Joshi, A. Mallick, K. Pisane, A. H. Romero, S. Thota, and M. S. Seehra: “Cubic Phase Stability, Optical and Magnetic Properties of Cu-doped Zirconia Nanocrystals”, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 51, 225304(12 pages) 2018.
6. E. Ranjith Kumar, Ch. Srinivas, M. S.Seehra, M. Deepty, A.S. Kamzin, M. V. K. Mehar, N. Krisha Mohan, “Particle size dependence of the magnetic, dielectric and gas sensing properties of Co substituted NiFe2O4 nanoparticles”, Sensors & Actuators A: 279, 10-18 (2018).
7. N. Mottaghi, R. Trappen, S. Kumari, C. Huang, S. Yousefi, G. Cabrera, M. Aziziha, A. Haertter, M. Johnson, M. S. Seehra, and M. Holcomb, "Observation and interpretation of negative remanent magnetization and inverted hysteresis loops in a thin film of La0.7Sr0.3MnO3, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, 30, 405804(6 pages), 2018.
1. Magnetic Spinels- Synthesis, Properties and Applications, edited by M.S. Seehra (314 pages, InTech Publishers, London, UK, March 2017) ISBN: 978-953-51-2974-5; Print ISBN:978-953-51-2973-8.
2. Nanostructured Materials: Fabrication to Applications, edited by M. S. Seehra (222 pages, InTech Publishers, London, UK, July 2017). ISBN: 978-953-51-3372-8; Print ISBN: 978-953-51-3371-1.
3. Z. Wang, L. Pi, M. S. Seehra, J.Bindra, H. van Tol and N. S.Dalal: Magnetic studies reveal near-perfect paramagnetism in the molecular semiconductor vanadyl phthalocyanine (C32H16N8VO), J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 422, 386-390 (2017).
4. M. S. Seehra, V. Narang, U.K. Geddam and A. B. Stefaniak, “Correlation between x-ray diffraction and Raman spectra of 16 commercial graphene-based materials and their resulting classification, Carbon, 111, 380-385 (2017).
5. S. Yin, T. Sauyet, M. S. Seehra, and M. Jain, “Particle size dependence of the magnetic and magneto-caloric properties of HoCrO3”, J. Appl. Phys. 121, 063902/1-11, (2017).
6. Z. Wang and M. S. Seehra, Magnetic investigations of phase transitions, exchange interactions, and magnetic ground state in nanosheets of β-Co(OH)2, J. Phys.: Condensed Matter, 29, 225803(9 pages), 2017.
7. S. Yin, M. S. Seehra, C. J. Guild, S. L. Suib, N. Poudel, B.Lorenz, and M. Jain, “Magnetic and magneto-caloric properties of HoCrO3 tuned by selective rare-earth doping”, Physical Review B, 95, 184421 (12 pages), 2017.
8. K. L. Pisane, Sobhit Singh, and M. S. Seehra, “Unusual enhancement of effective magnetic anisotropy with decreasing particle size in maghemite nanoparticles, Appl. Phys. Letters. 110, 222409(5 pages), 2017.
9. Z. Wang, K. Sierros, M. S. Seehra, and D. Korakakis, “Development of indigo-based nonvolatile write-once-read-many-times memory Device, Mater. Lett. 206, 128-131(2017).
1. Z. Wang, M. Lee, E. S. Choi, J. Poston, and M. S. Seehra: Low temperature, high magnetic field investigations of the nature of magnetism in the molecular semiconductor β-Cobalt Phthalocyanine (C32H16CoN8), J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 407, 83-86 (2016).
2.M. S. Seehra and K. L. Pisane: Relationship between blocking temperature and strength of interparticle interaction in magnetic nanoparticle systems, J. Phys. Chem. Solids, 93, 79-81(2016).
3. Z. Wang and M. S. Seehra: Ising-like chain magnetism, Arrhenius magnetic relaxation, and case against 3D magnetic ordering in β-Manganese Phthalocyanine (C32H16MnN8), Journal Phys.: Condens. Matter, 28, 136002/9 pages, (2016).
4. J.R. Roberts, R. R. Mercer, A. B. Stefaniak, M. S. Seehra, et al. Evaluation of pulmonary and systemic toxicity following lung exposure to graphite nanoplates: A member of the graphene-based nanomaterial family, “Particle and Fibre Toxicolgy”, 13, 34, 2016 (22 pages).
5. A. McDannald, C. Dela Cruz, M. S. Seehra, and M. Jain: Negative exchange bias in single phase Dy1-xNdxCrO3 induced by Nd doping, Physical Review B93, 184430/1-8, (2016).
6. M. S. Seehra and V. Narang: Mesoporous carbons for energy-efficient water splitting to produce pure hydrogen at room temperature, book chapter in the open access book enetitled “Microporous and Mesoporous Carbons” edited by R. S. Dariani (InTech Publishers, 8/2016, ISBN: 978-953-51-2582-2) pages 87-101.
7. Z.Wang, J. Poston, and M. S. Seehra: Diamagnetism of β-Nickel Phthalocyanine (C32H16N8Ni) and Effects of Impurities, IEEE Magnetics Letters, 7, 1406804/1-4, (2016).
8. D.Seifu, L. Giri, H. Hong, G.Mallick, S.P. Karna, and M. S. Seehra: Enhanced magnetic properties of carbon nanotubes and multilayer graphene decorated with Co3O4 , Proc. 16th Intern. Conf. Nanotechnology, Sendai, Jpn. (8-22-16 to 8-25-16), pages 587-590.
Selected Awards and Honors
“Order of Vandalia” for “Distinguished Service to West Virginia
University”, 2019. Fellow,
the Institute of Physics (U.K.), 2001 – Current
Fellow, the American Physical Society, 1984 – Current
Research Fellow, A. P. Sloan Foundation, 1973 – 1976.